Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Leave No Child Inside

"Yes, there are risks outside our homes. But there are also risks in raising our children under virtual house arrest" (16). Kids these days are only interested in the newest video games like the Wii, Guitar Hero, and War video games. When I'm outside, I only see about ten kids outside; when I was a kid everyone in the neighborhood would be outside playing with each other in the wilderness. We need to get together like the retired biophysicist and start more outdoor-education programs to get kids back involved with nature. "No one among us wants to be a member of the last generation to pass on to its children the joy of playing outside in nature" (20). We also need to show kids that we ourselves, even when were older, like to go outside and be one with nature.

I think its great that parents found out that their hyperactive child found calmness when being outdoors. More people should try this method, and will most likely like the outcomes. "Young children learn through the sounds, scents, and seasons of the outdoors" (18). By going outside, they can learn this firsthand instead of reading how it smells and feels from a book, while sitting inside, on a couch!

No comments: