Adler makes a great point when he says we not only have to "read between the lines", but "write between the lines" (20). I read for fun most of the time without marking in the books because their from the library. When I read my own books, I take in so much more information by marking in the margins and highlighting important sentences. Also when I read for fun I notice i can finish the book in no time; When I read for other reasons I know it takes me way longer because I get involved with the book by marking in it.
I found Adler's tips on how he marks in a book very useful. I used to only highlight and mark the pages, but he has given me more ways to grab insight from a book. I now use asterisks and circle key phrases and words. For me though, he does take it a little far to go and write his own index in the back and an outline at the front of the book. I don't think I would ever spend that much time on one book.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment